If you are planning to start a food business in India, it is essential to obtain an FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) registration. The FSSAI is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare that is responsible for ensuring the safety and quality of food products in India.
Step-by-Step Guide to the FSSAI Registration Procedure
- 1 Step-by-Step Guide to the FSSAI Registration Procedure
Step 1: Determine the Type of FSSAI Registration Required
The FSSAI offers three types of registrations based on the scale of your food business:
- Basic Registration: This registration is for small businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs. 12 lakhs.
- State Registration: This registration is for medium-sized businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs. 20 crores.
- Central Registration: This registration is for large businesses with an annual turnover of over Rs. 20 crores.
Learn about Get FSSAI License
Step 2: Submit the FSSAI Registration Application
Once you have determined the type of registration required, you need to fill out the FSSAI registration application. The application form can be downloaded from the FSSAI website or obtained from the nearest FSSAI office.
The application form requires you to provide information such as:
- Business name and address
- Type of food business
- Details of food products and categories
- Details of machinery and equipment used in the business
- Name and contact details of the food safety supervisor
Step 3: Submit the Required Documents
Along with the application form, you need to submit the following documents:
- Proof of identity of the business owner or partner
- Proof of address of the business premises
- List of food products and their ingredients
- Food safety management plan
- Proof of turnover
Step 4: Pay the FSSAI Registration Fee
After submitting the application form and documents, you need to pay the FSSAI registration fee. The fee for basic registration is Rs. 100, state registration is Rs. 2000, and central registration is Rs. 7500. The fee can be paid online or through a demand draft.
Step 5: Wait for FSSAI Inspection
Once you have submitted the application form, documents, and fee, you need to wait for an FSSAI inspection of your food business premises. The inspection is conducted to ensure that your business complies with the FSSAI regulations.
Step 6: Obtain FSSAI Registration Certificate
After the inspection, the FSSAI will issue the registration certificate. The certificate contains the FSSAI registration number and the validity period of the registration. The registration certificate must be displayed in a prominent place in your food business premises.
Obtaining an FSSAI registration is a crucial step in starting a food business in India. It ensures that your food products are safe for consumption and comply with the FSSAI regulations. By following the above steps, you can easily obtain an FSSAI registration for your food business.