People who have created something unique are granted copyright, which may include writers, musicians, directors, painters, and even app developers. Laws govern the copying, legality, originality, and reproduction of their works in any form. Registering your copyright is the best way to protect your rights.
This also prevents their work from being translated, copied, or altered without their consent. A law like this prevents fraudulent copies and imitations, which might harm the original creator, and is an important step taken by the government to ensure that such mishaps do not happen. Furthermore, this protects the originality and creativity of creative influencers. Check out this overview of Copyright Registration.
In 1957, the Copyright Act of 1957 was passed in hopes that it would prevent the copying and faking of original creative works. Under this Act, the following unique creative fields and products are protected:
- Prose, poems, and taglines from literary works
- A dramatic effort, such as a script or a play
- Jingles and musical compositions
- Works of art, including paintings, murals, and sculpture
- A film or a sound recording
- Designing clothes
- Several manuscripts
The Copyright Office
Copyright Offices are established so that people can register their copyrights. They are supervised by Registrars of Copyrights appointed by the central government. Registrations can be made by mail or online. Since February 2014, online registration has become a primary registration method. The following are the current location and contact information for the Copyright Office in India.
- No 32 Plot No. 34, Sector 14, Dwarka, New Delhi 111078
- Numbers: 011-28032496, 08929474194
Procedure for Registration
Here’s how to register:
- Form XIV is required for applications
- Statement of Particulars (SoP) and Statement of Further Particulars must accompany the form
- A separate registration is required for every work
- An entry must be submitted along with the required fee
- Petitioners must sign all applications
- An authorized Power of Attorney must accompany the application if the petitioner is not able to sign the document.
- The registration fee can be paid either by Demand Draft, E-payment, or Postal Order addressed to the Registrar Of Copyrights Payable In New Delhi.
- A detailed and exact fill-in of each column in the SoP is required
How to Upload Documents for Copyright Registration
- Select a browser of your choice
- This website can be found here
- The Login window will open once the window has been opened
- Log in using your credentials. Fill out the form
- Once you have logged in, select the Upload Discrepancy Reply link on the left side of the screen Copyright Registration Docs.
- You can view the error document by clicking the View Discrepancy Letter button
- You can also press the checkbox to upload a document against a particular acknowledgment number
- Forms of registration
- By pressing it, a new dialogue box will appear
- Copyright Registration Documents
- A document can be uploaded
- Copyright Registration Documents
- Upload the PDF file you need
- Press Upload to upload the PDF.
You will receive an authentication number once you apply, which you can use to track the progress of your application. After this, you must wait for 30 days before applying. In addition, if a complaint is filed, the Registrar of Copyrights will hear arguments from both parties, determine who is to blame, and then register the work.
Examiners examine the application if no objection claim is filed, and if no discrepancies are discovered, the registration is considered complete. In addition, if any fault is found, they will notify the petitioner, who then has 45 days to rectify the mistake.