Court Marriage Certificate in India – Online


Chennai courts perform court marriage Certificates according to the Special Marriage Act 1954, regardless of race, religion, or creed. Those who marry under the Special Marriage Act have their marriage solemnized and registered by a Marriage Officer. It is important to give 30 days of public notice in such a marriage. Marriage Registrars are responsible for resolving any objections within these 30 days. After their investigation, they may approve or reject the marriage. A Court Marriage Certificate Online is often required for things like changing your maiden name, obtaining a passport, etc., where you need to prove that you are legally married.

What is Court Marriage?

Almost every marriage or wedding in India must be legalized before taking place. Court Marriage in India refers to a relationship in which a male and female belong to different religions, and who are legally married (under the Special Marriage Act 1954) by the Court of Justice. On the other hand, people who belong to the same religious group can opt for a court marriage if they share the same values.

Marriage Criteria

Below are the criteria for Court Marriage. It must be approved by both parents

  • Each boy and girl must be an Indian citizen
  • 21 is the minimum age
  • The girl must be 18 years of age or older
  • Boy and girl should not be married earlier
  • Healthy both physically and mentally
  • The relationship should not involve the prohibited relations under law

Getting married in court

  • Marriage Notices must be filed with the SDM of the district or state’s marriage registry. One of the parties must be a resident of the same state (for at least one month).
  • A newspaper notice must also be given.
  • SDM publishes a marriage notice.
  • It takes 30 days from notice submission for the marriage to be solemnized. A 30-day objection period must elapse before it can take place.
  • Marriages are solemnized only by the Marriage Registrar.
  • At the time of registration, both parties and 3 witnesses should be present.

How to Get Married

  • Obtain the required paperwork
  • Schedule an appointment in the Arya Samaj Mandir (only those that are registered by the state)
  • -Grinder, Mangal Suter, and Sweet
  • Once the rituals have been completed, and the Pandit Ji has solemnized the wedding, you will be provided with a marriage certificate.
  • Get photographs from Pandit or Arya Samaj trusts.
  • Make an appointment online and visit the SDM office with your marriage photo, address, and proof of age along with the Arya Samaj marriage certificate.
  • Depending on the service, the SDM will issue it either the same day or in 30 days

Marriage Documents

  • Proof of Address of Boy and Girl (Aadhaar, Voter ID, and Passport)
  • The proof of the age of a boy and a girl (birth certificate, tenth certificate, passport, or driver’s license) must be presented.
  • Please provide two witnesses with valid identification and proof of address

Marriage between a national and a foreign citizen

There are circumstances when a court marriage registration certificate can be solemnized between two parties, one of whom is a citizen of India, under the Special Marriage Act, in India before either the Marriage Registrar or the Marriage Officer in the country of origin.

For a party who is not an Indian citizen, there are certain eligibility criteria you need to meet

  • Both the boy and girl must be citizens of India; at least one of them should be
  • There’s a minimum age requirement of 21 years old for the Boy
  • A girl must be at least 18 years of age to apply for the scholarship
  • The parties should not have a living spouse at the time of the wedding
  • In order for both the bride and groom to be mentally sound and healthy, they have to be in good health
  • It is important to note that the parties must not be in any way in the prohibited relationship range

The Documents Required for a Court Marriage

  • Two signatures are required on the application
  • Date of birth proof of the couple
  • Both the bride and the groom must both have a current passport copy as well as a valid visa
  • Obtaining a copy of the bride and groom’s private documents
  • In the case of one party, evidence of a stay in the district of India for more than 30 days, should be provided (a copy of the document confirming the stay or the report from the SHO closest to the district).
  • A N.O.C. from the Indian Embassy/Consulate or a certificate of marital status through the Indian diplomatic missions abroad
  • In the event that one of the parties has previously been married or had any previous divorces, either their death certificate or divorce documents need to be provided.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.