You can begin the process by visiting www.incometax.gov.in
The first step is to determine your income and taxes owed
- 1 TDS certificates and Form 26AS are the second step
- 2 Filing Income Taxes Step 3: Select the Right Form
- 3 ITR program can be downloaded from the IT website (Income Tax Portal).
- 4 5: Complete the downloaded file with the requested information
- 5 6. Verify the information you entered
- 6 7: Convert the file to XML
- 7 8.Upload the XML file to the Income Tax Portal
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to file IT returns.
- In order to calculate their income, taxpayers must follow the rules of their respective income tax legislation
- In addition to salary, freelance income, and interest income, taxpayers can claim deductions for items like tax-saving investments under Section 80C, among others.
- Moreover, a taxpayer should consider any advance tax they have paid to the government, such as TDS and TCS.
TDS certificates and Form 26AS are the second step
A taxpayer’s TDS amount should be calculated based on the TDS certificates they have received for each of the four quarters of the financial year and totalled. The Form 26AS provides a summary of TDS and tax paid during the financial year.
Filing Income Taxes Step 3: Select the Right Form
Taxpayers must determine which income tax form they need to file their income tax returns. Taxpayers have two options for submitting paperwork: either online or offline. Once they have determined which income tax form they need, they can proceed with filing the return.
When considering the online mode, we should keep in mind the following:
- Currently, it is only available for ITR 1 and ITR 4
- For other categories of taxpayers, it is not available
- Using the taxpayer’s login, the online mode is accessed.
In addition, all types of income tax forms can be filled out offline (by producing XML and uploading it).
ITR program can be downloaded from the IT website (Income Tax Portal).
To download IT Programme from IT’s website, follow the steps below
- To access the necessary documents, go to www.incometax.gov.in and select ‘Downloads’.
- Portal for income tax information
- After choosing the assessment year, you can download either Microsoft Excel or Java, or a JSON utility if you prefer.
5: Complete the downloaded file with the requested information
After downloading the offline utility, enter your Income Tax Return Last Date and check the tax payable or refund recoverable amount. You will be able to calculate the amount according to the utility calculation. You can fill out the form that can be downloaded with the details of your income tax challan.
6. Verify the information you entered
In the right-hand side of the downloaded form, you will see a few buttons that can assist you in verifying that all essential information has been entered. Click on the ‘Validate’ button to make sure all information has been entered correctly.
7: Convert the file to XML
Click the ‘Generate XML’ button on the right-hand side of the file after the file has been successfully validated to convert it into XML.
8.Upload the XML file to the Income Tax Portal
Here are the steps you need to follow to upload the XML file to the income tax portal.
- Select the Income Tax Return option on the left-hand side of the screen on the e-File itr filing in India portal and log in
- Ensure that all relevant information is provided, including your PAN, assessment year, ITR form number, and mode of filing. Prior to proceeding, select Upload XML from the drop-down menu for the Submission Mode field.
- Click on the Submit button to complete the process and attach your XML file
- Aadhaar One Time Password, electronic verification code (EVC), or sending a manually signed ITR-V to the Central Processing Center (CPC), Bengaluru can be used for verification.